Friday, October 15, 2010

there's no place like home..

Josh and I watched The Hangover today (NOT the most wholesome film :<). But all during the film, I was just ACHING for my home! I MISS MY TOWWNNNN!!! My home town, Vegas girl and I'm proud! I CANNOT wait to return home soon!!!!!!!!!!

Life is going to be INSANELY different. I haven't lived in the States in two and a half years. I'm so happy to move back but even though I spent 20 1/2 years there, it will still probably take some time to get a groove going. And I HAVEN'T EVEN LIVED 'REAL' LIFE IN THE STATES YET! EVER!! Real life, as in paying my own bills, supporting my family, big girl style.

All my life my parents paid for everything. I know, I was spoiled. But after I married, of course, real life began. And Josh and I have done a pretty alright job so far. We've paid our rent, bills, everything. We haven't had hardly a cent left over, it's true. I've been a poor student, slaving away waitressing, and now I'm graduated and on maternity leave with Giles. Josh has been working full time as a car insurance claims advisor. We've been poor newlyweds, but we've done it, and I'm now comfortable living big girl life now. BUT, that's living it over HERE, in England. It's a whole new game in the States! I don't know how much things cost- taxes, insurance, bills, everything. Can't judge things by when I was living in Hawaii going to BYU-H, because those weren't normal prices, they were expensive Hawaii prices. So yeah, big things coming my way.

My life at home will also be unrecognizable now because, I HAVE A CHILD! :> HUUUGGEEEE life change, right?? So that's something new, I need to get him a doctor, find out how I'm going to pay for that doctor (because I am LOVING England's free National Health Service here. I love paying a tiny bit extra taxes for it because it's amazing. You can't knock the system when you've had a baby on it for absolute free!!). I need to find out public programs and little things to take Giles to, to help him socialize and grow. So many things there! AND sadly, I'll have to worry about leaving my poor boy as I must get a job to pay for my husband's university, our insurance, etc. etc. etc.

Life will definitely be nothing like before. Nevertheless, I see it as enjoying my Vegas in a whole new way.

I loved growing up there, I love my parents, my friends there. Despite all the challenges coming up, I am ready to be home! And both Josh and I are excited to start a new adventure and to see where life takes us. From my experiences living abroad, I really know now that there is no place like the good ol' USA. There's terrible aspects of my country, it's true, but that's just like any country. What's great and what matters is that the USA IS a place of opportunity. Of dreaming and accomplishing whatever you want. From observing life in England, I don't feel that that same optimism, inventiveness, and spirit is here among the people at all. I cannot wait to be back home and to see, with hard work and relying on the Lord, where all the opportunities will lead us to.

Who would have thought that this huge passionate rant would have all stemmed from such a film as 'The Hangover' ? haha

<3 VEGASSSSSSS we'll be there soon! <3

3 comments:

  1. mal we love our doctor! dr faro at foothills pediatric 564-kids. you should check him out! also i have tons of fun mommy things you can go to! they have story time at different places during the week and there are new mommy mixers. i also teach gymboree and i do a cheaper version at the rec centers. its so fun! feel free to ask because there are so many fun things to do with kids in vegas that i didnt even know about until i had a baby!

    ReplyDelete
  2. dang so glad you told me! now i dont feel so clueless x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so excited for you to be here too!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete