Saturday, October 23, 2010

i must've done something good...

Nothing comes from nothing, nothing ever could. So somewhere in my youth or childhood, I must've done something good.

AHHHH glorious quote from Maria (Julie Andrews) in the Sound of Music. It has always been my favorite film. Just look at the RICH quality of the film, the colors, the shadows, ah I ADORE film film movies. Everything about that film is PERFECT. The cast, the songs, the LOVE STORYYY!!! the scenery...

which brings me to the star of this blog post...

SALZBURG!!!

Salzburg, as you know, is where the bulk of the Sound of Music is set. And the glorious film was the driving force behind mine and Josh's recent holiday to MUNICH, GERMANY and SALZBURG, AUSTRIA!!!!!!

Joshua and I just celebrated our 2nd wedding anniversary. 2 years married on October the 18th. :>

We were motivated to take a trip because we are moving to the States soon. Europe is soo close and we haven't explored it as a couple because we've been crazy poor. Well, we're still crazy poor but we decided we HAVE to take advantage of Europe before we move away from it. SO I was looking around for cheap deals, and there was a cheap deal to Munich, Germany. Looking into the area and tours more, there was also a cheap tour going for a day trip to Salzburg. SALZBURG!!! Childhood dream of visiting there HAD to be checked off my list! So we booked 2 nights in Germany.

It was our first time leaving Giles. It was really sad. I kept having panic attacks for days before the trip! I just prayed so hard that it would be okay, and that everyone would be safe. My fears were calmed a bit and we headed off. Giles was to stay with his grandparents, Dave and Lorna, for the duration.

We got to Munich Monday night, on our anniversary. We took a train into the city from Munich airport, found our hotel, and went out walking around and exploring. I tell you, I was the quintessential ANNOYING American tourist on that first night! Hahah everything I saw I was like 'WOOOOOOWWW!!' 'OH MY GOSHHH LOOK AT THAT!!! THAT's AAAMMAAAZZZIINNNGGG!!' haha but I did really feel that way, Germany was BEAUTIFUL! Munich was such an amazing city, I strongly recommend everyone to go out of their way to visit it! hehe




The next morning we headed off on our day trip to Salzburg. We met a group of American and some Scottish tourists at the train station in front of the tour company's office. Our tour guide was American as well, he was from Seattle. The train to Salzburg was 2 hours. On the way we saw the gorgeous snowy Alps, and so many picturesque German towns along the route. When we pulled into Salzburg I was SOOO excited. Just the view alone from the train was worth the trip, haha I couldn't wait to explore!



The guide took us around for about an hour and a half, and then Josh and I got to explore for 3 hours. The guide showed us the Sound of Music sites- where Maria and the children were running around singing 'Do Re Mi', where Maria was walking around Salzburg singing 'I Have Confidence', and where the real live abbey was, Maria's abbey! I was a complete nerd, I was so excited. I just adore the film so much! And Ms. Andrews is completely perfect in it. And Captain Von Trapp is too perfect and makes me melt ahhh!!!!

me at Sound of Music sites>





The guide also showed us the medieval fortress that was on the hill top above the town, he took us outside of Mozart's birthplace and childhood home. We went along the main shopping area, where every store had a fancy wrought-iron sign. Salzburg back in the day was the hub for wrought iron work.

Everything in the town was gorgeous. It was a bright, sunny day, only briskly cold, not too bad. It was so perfect, I couldn't have asked for a lovelier day and place to spend it in!

We returned from Salzburg around 6:30 at night in Munich, and we went to our hotel room to rest for a tiny bit. Afterwards we went out onto the town to get some dinner and to see more things.

I was determined to have a REAL German dinner. I am NOT a sausage person. I can have about one or two sausages a year and then I'm set. I just don't like it much, makes me sick most of the time! But the Germans are all about their sausages (and beer, but that's obviously a no no! haha). SO we went to a German pub and I had a sausage platter with mash and SAUERKRAUT! It is pickled cabbage, it's another big German thing haha. It surprisingly was very good! I had the famous Munich white sausage, a Regensburger sausage, a weiner, and hm some other kind, I don't remember. But it was all good, and worked really well with the sauerkraut! I probably won't have sausage again for a couple years haha but it was honestly good. Josh ordered a beef goulash with dumplings and he loved that as well.

The next morning we woke up, checked out of our hotel, and spent our final day officially exploring Munich and going inside of the churches and other buildings (everything was closed when we went round at night). Munich is famous for its rich Rococo decor. I studied Rococo in my degree but I'd never seen anything in real life, so even though it is very over the top and not very nice, haha, it was still cool to see some Rococo interiors.

Since I had my German meal the night before, Josh and I committed the tourist crime and we went to McDonalds. Haha but McDonalds has different things in every country! So that's how we justified it. We both at their '1955' burger. Apparently it was supposed to be like an American diner burger, 1950's style. The McDonalds there also had breaded shrimp! So weird, I've never seen a McD's have that, but it was very good. yummm

We also went to the Viktualienmarkt, the main market in Munich. There were flowers being sold, seafood, German candies, Christmas decorations, breads, dried fruits, sausages, everything. We bought some Munich white sausage to take home to Dave and Lorna.

Munich was a gorgeous, clean, beautiful city! BUT I must say, I was happy to leave it... I had a little boy to get home to!!!!!!!

When we arrived in Manchester, I had Lorna bring Giles in the car with her haha I couldn't wait till home to see him again!! I have NEVER been happier to see anyone in my entire life than I was to see my baby again! I was crazy to leave him haha but I guess I had to have that experience. I don't think I'll leave my babies again, no matter how much fun Josh and I had. I just love my Giles too much! BUT grandma Evans did a fantastic job and all was well. :>


Well there's the gist of our trip. It was so lovely, what a special time to spend those days with my darling Josh. He is such a lovely person, my best friend, and an amazing husband. It really was nice to be with him and to share our special 2 year anniversary!

3 comments:

  1. Yay! Thanks for sharing the fun trip details and your ah-maze-ing pictures!! Looks like it was a lovely time!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that was one of my favorite stops when i went to europe! i loved walking up to the fortress and now every time i watch the opening of the sound of music i can say ive been there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh I am so jealous! haha. You are seriously steps away from EVERYTHING AMAZING living in Europe! I really want to go to France - and many MANY other places- some day, and you are like a stones throw away! I'm so glad you posted all the details of your trip ... how amazing and fun is it that you got to go to Salzburg?!?!?! Your dreammmmm!!!! So amazing!!! It looks like you had a lovely time! & I am sure Giles was happy you had a great time, but equally glad to have his mommy back home! :)

    ReplyDelete